Monday, January 26, 2015

The Animals

It hasn't ceased to amaze me just how much the animals have taken their land back in these last two years. I don't think it'll be too long before the great migrations start again, rampaging over the abandoned interstates across this land eventually tearing apart the concrete so carefully lain there by long-gone human beings and making way for the great plains and forests to regrow... it's remarkable how relatively quickly the mind accepts that this is what the Earth should be - not the brightly lit-up parade we made it.
I've never in my life really felt any connection to animals. We had a couple cats growing up and I'm not saying I was sociopathic to them but there's something very strange about the feeling of looking a wild deer in the eyes and, at least feeling that you can understand what it's thinking. It's like the noise of the cities had to be fully extinguished for me to notice such subtlty.
I swear there were several creatures on my journey for the last few years that gave me some very strange looks - a sort of "It's one of them!" look. Who can blame them really? These guys really have the land now and they're doing a much better job than we ever did..
Anyway, that being said I am still planning to try and keep downtown clear of as many of them as I can so I can not be mauled by bears, ideally.. I noticed lots of tracks up and down the roads into town of various animals but compared to some of the other major urban areas I've been too they're kind of scattered.. I'm guessing (hoping) that the power still inexplicably being on here is warding them away a little bit, it'll make my life a little easier.
I better get out there and see who's laid their claim to the Greater Burlington area.. check in again soon!

No comments: